3 March 2005

I first thing we have to do in 3rd year of art school is write a proposal for what we’ll be doing in the year. One aspect of this is a list of your influences. One of them is Marcel Dzama so I looked him up to get some fresh images. And may I say I hate him more than ever, hate him because he’s so good, and every time I look at his work I want to cry. Cry with anger, rage, jealousy and frustration that he’s so damn good and he’ll keep on being so damn good. It makes any future attempt at art making seem damn near impossible.

2 comments:

Ian T. said...

Anthony, I often come back to parts of Max Ehrmann's Desiderata - not that I agree with all of it, but sometimes it's definitely relevant, such as now :).

If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.


The good thing is how inspiring the artists we admire can be! Anyway, I reckon you'll be in this league in the future. Maybe for now you should do a comic page about your frustrations with Marcel Dzama :).

Best wishes,

Ian T.

Anthony Woodward said...

Yeah I know. really I was just having a bit of fun. I'm actually really happy with how some of my art school stuff is turning out at the moment.