6 August 2005

crafty

As I said in some previous Blogs, y mind has been taking some interesting creative turns lately, not really sure why but I’m happy to follow them along for the ride. I’m full aware of the tendency of the mind to want distractions, so I’ll be careful not to jump at everything that comes to mind and my number one creative outlet I would still have to say is comics.
But just to give you an example of some things…Lately I’ve been fascinated with people who make the own little dolls and such out of fabric (I’ve made a few sock monkeys in my time) or other such crafty things.
Also I’ve been getting urges to make things out of paper Mache’…I tried to make a small guy a couple of years ago with chicken wire, it never worked. But then in an art history lecture on death the other day I saw a slide of a day of the dead skull all painted up.
Plus I think I’ve converted to using a brush instead of a nib! This may sound small but to me I’ve always divided up comic artist between those that use brushes or nibs. I used to feel that brushes were the easy way to a ‘comic’ look and I’m not one to chase after style, I like it to be naturally there, subtle. But who knows maybe I’ll go back or maybe I’ll use both. You have to remind yourself not to put up these false walls of ideas that hold you back.
If I get a chance I’ll post some links on all this…

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great! You're going in the right direction. If going back to using nib, experiencing other forms adds to subsequent work.

Anthony Woodward said...

Here's some doll links, I have somemore saved elsewhere...:)

http://www.sweatyfrog.com/uglydolls.html

http://www.loobylu.com/

Non Stop Ive ! said...

I was thinking that if I had some dolls of me and a decent camera then I wouldn't have to draw my comics anymore.

Anonymous said...

You can see a doll of me here:
http://photos17.flickr.com/20608685_e85908358d_o.jpg

Mwhahahahaaaaa.

Anthony Woodward said...

Help! has anyone got any pliers!

Anthony Woodward said...

Nice evil laugh I might add...

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I'm especially good at laughing evily };-}

This doll is 15 years old now - there is one for each of us in our family. As you can see the kids enjoy scribbling all over me, dipping my tail in coffe and sticking pins into me. You should see theirs! Mwhahahahaaa.