7 September 2005

SilkScreening

Anonymous said...

"Hi Anthony, I had a look at Gocco printing a couple of years back after swapping a collagraph for a Gocco print. The process was good in regards to time saving when doing multiples. You can get some nice effects.
What made me decide against buying a 'Gocco' was the expense of buying one and followup costs. I figured there was no point in getting anything smaller than A3 size. Anything else would suit greeting cards. I guess I also figured a piece of silk, some wood and a squeegy gave just as good results with cleanup being just a bit messier.
I would be interested to see something you print with a Gocco if you go ahead and buy one. Don't let me put you off - there are many who love Gocco printing."

awcomix replied:
Yeah I'm just weighing it all up now. I did see them use a technique on the website to make larger screens, but then again I also saw how they had to change those bulbs each time...
I know of someone who has one and might let me try it out. I think the cost is too high to buy myself a decent one. I was tossing up this and the idea of setting up a silkscreening space. This is due to recently learning about the low tech silkscreening method of developing the screens with just natural light. From what I hear it's getting the transparency flush with the screen is one of the biggest concerns...Any hints ideas etc?
Also I'd proably be going with water based paint, as I've been advised it's a lot better for your health than oil based.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My second full time job was printing screen graphics - I moved on because machines soon took over the best part of the job. The artwork was composed as a film positive. I used direct photo emulsioned screens with film on top exposing to UV light. It could be an arc light, sunlight or an ultraviolet sunlamp. The screen was then washed leaving the stencil like image. You can fix transparency flush problems with registration when setting up for printing.

I have a record from one of my first prints which needed 8 minutes lamp exposure but chose to try sunlight instead. I left it for three hours in the sun then it clouded over and rained! The screen was not anywhere close to having the right amount of UV exposure.

Although illegal for home sale in Australia you can pick up a UV sunlamp for $40 from eBay at the beginning of Winter. Any later in the year and you are looking closer to $170.

A common complaint about setting up for screenprinting is the space needed for storage.

When screenprinting now I choose the direct drawing method using oil pastels with sometimes paper stencils :)

Anonymous said...

PS I used oil based paint on material at work but preferred water based paints after that time using paper as my material. Photo emulsion and stencil removing chemicals are highly toxic! I hope solvents, fillers and blockouts are more environmentally and health friendly now.

Anthony Woodward said...

Hey thanks for all that info. Why are they illegal and why are they cheaper at the start of winter? I'm all intrigued now!
I was going to hang a line for the prints in terms of storage.

Oil pastels and stencils would be fun too, come to think of it.

I have to do a whole lot more research on where to buy stuff but thanks for pointing me in the right direction :)

Anonymous said...

Australian sales of private sunlamps stopped with the slip, slop, slap campaign by the Cancer Council. Even for medical reasons, Doctors now say you have to pay for regular UV light in a tanning salon if needed artificially. Too bad for those that live in a small unit and have a mobility and/or financial problem.

Hheheee the escalating cost of a black market sunlamp has to do with vanity and people wanting a tan the first time they are seen with cozzie on the beach. You will find them in the health section of eBay - that is the sunlamps and vanity people :)

I have wondered what the lights made for fish tanks would be like but think the shape would have to be circular not barshaped for even light distribution....

Anonymous said...

Also .... storage has to do mostly with screens but also bulk amounts of paint and emulsifiers.

Maybe those vanity people buying lamps are actually sick people who can't afford or make it to regular tanning salon visits.

And ... think the UV level of fishtanks lights wouldn't be high enough.

Scattered today ....

Anthony Woodward said...

That's ok! I just apprecite the tips. I'm fairly sure i won't buy a gocco due to the costs. But i'll still give that one I know of a go.
My brother has a screen a a squeegy, so we'll proably go halfs in inks lamps etc I let you know how we go :)