23 May 2006

Vice comics issue




I just got myself a copy of Vice all comics issue care of fellow art school chum Simon (I owe you big time) I can’t believe how good it is and I can’t say that I’ve ever seen a comics magazine like it. The closest thing I guess would weirdo and Raw from the eighties but I like how this is just a ‘perfect bound’ magazine format with other reviews and photos in it as well. And the mind blowing part is that it’s free! I’d really love to hear what people think who are regular readers of Vice but not necessarily alt comic readers, just to get an outsider view on this kind of format. I would definitely enjoy seeing this as an ongoing thing with 3-4 pages each issue and a comic special every year

On a related note I had first seen Vice in Canada and the North American version has three pages f comics in every issue and I thought it strange that the Aussie one had nothing considering the amount of local talent. I did notice that Simon James the Tasmanian cartoonist that I’ve reviewed on this blog before had a page in the Vice mag too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hiho anthony!!

in n.z. there was a general call out for submissions for the comic vice issue (7 day notice!) busted my hump to get something in but have nay heard a scratch, nor seen comic issue yet... general word on street is that we don't get the 'good' vice issues here... did simon james get in the comic issue or another issue of vice? not sure if i will get to see a copy here... cheezels tim dee

Anthony Woodward said...

It would be good to see a rgular comics page I think how can we make this happens I wonder any ideas?

tim danko said...

dunno, vice started that way with gavin innes and dave cooper... don't know why publications are comic resistent, when i approached melbourne free press (like beat) years ago they essentially said i could pay for space (take out an ad) and it would happen, get reviewed and articles and published if i took out enough ads... worse than making comics for free!

zombo vertov said...

yay! nz comic vice is out and i'm in it!! joy gloat gloat yay! i haven't seen it yet stefan texted me and simon james is in the n.z. issue as well... kinda like trickle down economics, australians in nz issue and 'kiwis' (me) but kiwis not in aussie issue? wacky...

simon james said...

i am googling myself. hey wow i'm in the nz vice too. they owe me more money....

Anthony Woodward said...

Hey Ho simon, yeah I liked your page. Not sure who exactly was in the NZ issue maybe email Tim Danko about it...
Glad you got in touch I emailed you there awhile ago but recieved no reply, maybe you were busy? Anyway like your stuff ;)