24 November 2007

Hemp Paper

A friend was asking me about wanting to use recycled paper and I suggested they look into buying some hemp paper. The reason being is that recycled paper still requires us to cut down trees and has lower archival qualities than regular paper.
Upon looking into it I realised there is no where presently that you can buy close to 100% hemp paper. Some other facts I found interesting where that recycled paper creates it fair share of toxic sludge from the process of removing inks, adhesives etc from the paper. Also that you can get 4 times the amount of pulp from a hectare of hemp than from a hectare of trees. Hemp can be cultivated in under a year where as a tree plantation takes 20-30 years.
Good news is that someone is starting not only a hemp farm in W.A but also a hemp paper mill along side it. Maybe Australia will be able to get hemp paper sometime in the near future.

4 comments:

Adam said...

Hey Anthony,

Food for thought. I've been looking into recycled paper lately as I gear up to do some back-issue printing. I've been mainly looking at post-consumer recycled and stuff - some good resources online here:

http://www.australianpaper.forests.org.au/docs/WHATYOUCANDO.htm

I was surprised to find that Fuji actually do a 100% post-consumer paper. Last time I did any research on that it was Canon 100 or nothing, but now Canon 100 itself is not 100% post-consumer; tho there are others that are.

cheers

adam

Anthony Woodward said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anthony Woodward said...

My concern is that some recycled papers do not have good archival qualities. I read recently that reflex puts a calcium carbonate buffer in all its papers so I wonder if they do in their recycled as well?

Adam said...

yeah the archival thing. i sympathise. but in terms of environmental responsibility, reflex is right down the bottom of the list. the trick is that a lot of recycled paper still can contain NON-recycled material (including rainforest timber) and still legally be called "recycled".

So I suppose you have to weigh up your priorities.