30 September 2009

Albury Art instalation

This past weekend I was invited to the Albury Art gallery to paint an installation for a portrait exhibition they are having.

We all drove up on Saturday morning. We had a few stops on the way and almost run out of petrol on the Hume highway at one point. We made it there in the late afternoon just in time to have a quick look at the space to get mentally prepared for the next day. I also had some time to sit down on the main street of Albury and sketch some of the locals that afternoon. I t was fairly quiet as the Australian football grand final was on at the same time. I had originally drawn a picture of an imaginary strange family for the gallery wall but changed my mind at the last minute and decided to use the sketches of people from Albury.

Photobucket
Here is a snippet of the sketch I did for the wall painting.

I started early on Sunday morning. It took around an hour to get set up, but the painting overall took around five hours. People came in and out of the gallery while I was painting the piece and I got more than one comment about it being naughty to draw on the wall.

I do not have any photos of the finished piece as yet, but I will post them when I do get them.
If you are going to be in Albury swing past and check it out.

No comments: