16 June 2010

Updates

Now that we have moved house and have mostly settled in, we are getting ready for the birth of our new baby. We both really like the new house although I am feeling a little disconnected from usual routine of art making. I think this comes down to not having established new spaces for my art materials and art making itself. This is not to say the house is not conducive for art but rather I just need some book shelves and drawers perhaps to store and easily access things. I seem to be running behind posting comics and art out to people and even just responding to emails.
I have been making a new comic every four days which I have been posting to the comic artist rehab blog. The story is one that I have wanted to tell for a long time and I am glad to finally be producing it. Once I am finished the comic I think I will add twice as many pages and print it up as a zine.
I recently completed my last visit to the State Library of Victoria, where I have been going and volunteering to catalogue their zine collection. After approximately 8 visits I was able to catalogue around 11 boxes which amounted to almost 300 items/zines. I will no longer be able to make the trip to Melbourne as I have been offered a part time position with the University Library in Ballarat, which I will be starting next week.
The good news is that I may be able to have boxes of zines shipped to Ballarat. I have also put my hand up to also help catalogue a new comic collection. The comics are being sourced from Minotaur comics in Melbourne at this stage. I am also trying to find missing items in the collection and collect them for inclusion.
I have been feeling inspired lately to try and get one of my comic stories offset printed into a nice little tidy book. I think something that has been reinforced by cataloguing zines is the idea of self publishing, and the idea that with dedication you can create something meaningful that can go out into the world and be a real part of things. there is no need to wait for a publisher or validation from elsewhere, if something is important to you, you can make it happen for yourself.
With that in mind, I would like to make a small B&W A5 booklet with a print run of around 500. If that goes well I would like to look into getting some funding to publish some other Australian comic artists that I like.
It is all ideas at the moment but I have a hankering to put some ink on paper!

I will be working on a site redesign in the coming weeks too. I have already made a new banner and added a 'dough-nate' button in the sidebar, after a donate option was requested by a reader.

2 comments:

leftofsanity said...

Thanks for doing what you're doing and putting your stuff out there. Keep up the good work, hope the job works out, and kudos on the dough-nate button

Robin Cain said...

Cool, Anthony! Sounds like you have awesome stuff planned. I look forward to seeing more!