24 November 2010

Inking test

I abandoning inking comics with a nib around four years ago for my trusty tech pen. I was finding that I could create much more fluid drawings at a quicker rate with my pen than using a dip pen.
I resolved that I was going to forge my own way with the pen, even though it is not considered a proper inking tool as such, and that I would make it work for me. I have always taken note since whenever I would read that an artist used pens to ink, and not the traditional brush or nib; Ron Rege, John Porcelino and Jeffery Brown to name a few.
But then I would look at the work of Mandy Ord with her big juicy brush strokes, or Craig Thompson's beautiful lines, and more recently the work done by Clowes in his latest book 'Wilson' and wish that I could switch to the dark side and ink with a brush. I've attempted it a few times over the years, and I am probably happiest with my efforts with 'Z-Factor' inked with a Pentel brush pen.
More recently I have been wanting to explore some new inking styles that will allow for larger scale drawings. Whilst I love my .05 tech pen for drawing I find it does not suit the drawing of comics larger than A5 in size. I have decided that I am going to try my hand at inking with a nib again and see what sort of images I can come up with. My aim is to get artwork that has a nice natural loose feel to it and not a stiff and stilted lines. I am pleased to say that I am happy with my first attempt, part of which you can see above. My hand was a little shaky, but over all I was happy with the line I produced. I am going to come up with a few more tests and hopefully I can post them here soon.
Perhaps I should have read these inking tips first.

4 comments:

Robin Cain said...

Can't wait to see your results. I use a tech pen too and while I love it, I agree, those brush or nib lines look beautiful! Good luck! I always enjoy looking at you work!

Anthony Woodward said...

Thanks Robin! I still love my pen and will continue to sketch and draw comics with it.

DaveMahler said...

I've been having similar thoughts recently. I'm currently working on a three pager I've been saving for just the right moment, my first effort with brush and ink. Personally I think it's terrible, but hey, I'm learning so much!
Your experiment is looking great Anthony, it's interesting how you can still tell it's yours; you definitely have your own style.
Dave

Anthony Woodward said...

Thanks for the encouragement Dave!