1-I have started with a script for the project. I have dabbled with this before but no to this extent. I started writing the story in a screenplay prose format initially, but then about 2/3rds through the story was getting off track from my original idea. I jotted down the basic concept in a synopsis/treatment style. This helped a lot and meant that I got the bare bones of the story down. Once I was happy with that, I tuned it into a numbered list and placed a return where I thought each panel break might go. This left me with about 30 panels. Doing the math on this only leaves me with about 5 pages so far, but this should right itself as I go.
2-This is the storyboards (thumbnails) stage. For most of the work I have ever created I have started with this stage. Which is fine for shorter works but you quickly run into problems past 3-4 pages. I'm about halfway through laying out the script into storyboard form at the moment. I probably prefer to refer to it as a storyboard as thumbnails are technically smaller. I'm drawing these the same size the finished art will be, which is A4. I have found i am adding an extra panel for almost every number on the script so I should just hit my 12 page mark give or take a page.
3-I've been working on the character sketches from the beginning I have an older male character and a younger female character. I have a loose image in my head of what I want them to look like but I haven't quite got it on paper yet. I think I'm about 80-90% there though.the next step will be to tighten up the character sketches so i know how to draw them exactly over and over in the panels.
I set the first wek to have the script written and the second week for the storyboard, so far I'm on track.