DaveMahler writes:

"I started out doing comics with drawing up panels and dividing the conversations/narrative.
Then I started trying to script it out before hand with Word, writing Panel 1: person 1 does this and says "bla bla bla." and so on until I had my comic, then I divided the panels into pages.
I've tried storyboarding, using stick figures to show the action, but I find it confusing, and I only use it occasionally.
As far as little quirks go, I usually get inspired by things that happen to me, or snippets of conversation I hear. So I always carry around a little notebook and pen. I refuse to work with any pen but fineliners, unless I have no option. As far as pencils go, I need hexagonal pencils. Can't stand circles...I know its weird, but I guess that's just me, ha ha!"


Thanks Dave for your insights into your own different comic writing methods. I especially liked how you added the part at the end about fine liners and pencils, they’re the kind of details I want to hear more about, peoples rituals and superstitions.

Also today I tried to construct a template in word with six panels but gave up and moved over to InDesign as it has more flexibility. I then pasted in some typed text and printed it out. From there I did some editing with a pencil. The ruled up my page in my A5 sketchbook and wrote out the text again making a few more minor changes. So far this hasn’t sucked the fun out of it for me but has actually made it a little more interesting. I hope that it reads that way too.

Comments

Thanks for reading...

Comments are always welcome. To subscribe via RSS, click here or sign up for my new publications' newsletter.

Popular Posts

Creating Screen tone effect in Photoshop

Making an ePub (Part One)

Making an ePub in Apple pages (Part Two)