Introducing Your Topic

After creating and self publishing a few collections of my own comics in between 1998-2003 I decided to go to art school. I started a drawing zine that same year, after discovering a free photocopier. The zine was called ‘7 Pages’. It was an A4 page folder into quarters and contained 7 pages of sketchbook drawing, plus a cover. It was distributed around in local cafes for free and became quite popular, at least in the local area. It was around this time I started blogging as well. This formative period shaped most of the work I would produce over the next few years. As I went through art school and struggled to find my place, trying to somehow reconcile my love of comics and my new understanding of ‘fine art’. Although this was a frustrating process, it did eventually deepen my art practice and I was able to find a nice balance between my comic work and other experiments with mixed media and collage work. In addition to this I also developed an interest in collaborative and mail art projects, getting involved in international printmaking swaps and weekly online drawing challenges such as illustrationfriday.com, and comics communities on livejounral.com. In 2008 I moved to Canada with wife and 6 month old son, it was around this time I developed a practice of drawing two comic panels per day. This developed into an ongoing challenge and resulted in the production of enough work to make 5 new books     (See ‘This Town’, and ‘Sketchbook Comix’ 1-4)


I like to use this blog to share my work, current projects, discussions and even the occasional tutorial.


You can subscribe to my RSS feed here. I also maintain a Facebook page and occasional post to Instagram and Twitter if that’s your jam.

If you’re new to alternative comics and wish to find out more check out these links
inkstuds


Comments

Thanks for reading...

Comments are always welcome. To subscribe via RSS, click here or sign up for my new publications' newsletter.

Popular Posts

Creating Screen tone effect in Photoshop

Tangency

Review of Sanford Prismacolour Non-photo blue pencils